Friday, November 21, 2008

The Further Adventures of Vicki & Pam

Wednesday, Vik and I took off for SCIART for another wonderful class with Deborah Jarchow. This time it was rigid heddle weaving. This loom has only one moving part, unlike the last class where we had four heddles (or flippers) to deal with. Of course, the loom I used was about 4 times the size of everyone elses, so I had a dickens of a time getting the thing strung up. If not for the help of Gerri, I most likely would still be sitting in the middle of their gallery trying to string 320 pieces of yarn (each over 90" long) thought tiny little holes. While it took the two of us the entire class session to thread the monster, Vik was finished before lunch and had begun the fun part of actually weaving. I'm going to have to stop thinking bigger is beautiful and remember that great things come in small boxes! Maybe in 4-5 years, I'll get my first piece finished. Boy, having to work sure does get in the way of going on these junkets!

No comments: